Learn about our monthly Story Department here!
- In September, Austin Chronicle’s Qmmunity and Austin Bat Cave united to spotlight the work, thoughts, and lived realities of Austin’s queer youth. For the last couple of months, ABC led an op-ed writing workshop with the kids and teens atOut Youth. Click here to read ABC student Elliot Pearson’s opinion piece on educating your kids about queerness, published in The Austin Chronicle’s Qmmunity section!
- On Saturday, October 27th, ABC joined Texas Book Festival for Lit Crawl—a night of irreverent literary programming. We held a night of storytelling in the Lewis Carnegie studios on E. Cesar Chavez. Our storytellers were Traci Brimhall, Michael Noll, and Laura Van Den Berg.
- On Friday, October 26th, ABC hosted over one-hundred Austin and Houston students from three schools for a three-hour screenwriting workshop at the Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex in East Austin.
- Austin Bat Cave was awarded $10,000 by the Seawell Elam Foundation for our writing programming and $4350 by the City of Austin for our annual anthology launch party respectively.
- Austin Bat Cave recently received a grant of $1,000 from Austin Community Foundation for its After-School Creative Writing Workshops. This grant is through the Community Grant Program at the Foundation.
- We also announced our chef and storyteller lineup for the annual Eat Your Words fundraiser on October 21st. Seats to the event can be purchased here.
- And, we added two new members to our Board of Directors: Tim Braun and Don McPhee, who will be joining the organization as Treasurer.