Austin Bat Cave offers adult writing classes for writers of all skill levels. Because we want our programming to be available to writers of all backgrounds and income-levels, we are pleased to offer participants support through scholarships and payment plans.
As an organization, ABC is working to ensure that our writing classes, events, and media are equitable and accessible for all. Unless otherwise noted, virtual classes are conducted in English. Currently, we provide students with closed captioning and recorded workshop sessions.* If you need other accommodations that will help us create a healthy mental, physical, and inclusive space, please let us know at registration.
*ABC is committed to student privacy. Recorded sessions will not be made public or available for purchase, with the exception of our SSSF seminars. To encourage open, honest discussion and create an environment of support, instructors of classes with highly-personal, intimate subject matter may decide to record only a portion of class.
The fees from ABC’s adult writing workshops subsidize our free writing programs for kids and pay our adult workshop instructors.
- ABC will host both virtual and in-person classes. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation in the region and will shift in-person classes to virtual if necessary. Please note the class format before registering.
- Class times are listed in Central Time (CT).
- All classes are non-refundable but are transferable to another person or to another class of equal or lesser value.
- The fees from ABC’s adult writing workshops subsidize our free writing programs for kids and pay our adult workshop instructors. A major factor in determining tuition rates is the instructor’s time and preparation outside of the classroom. Classes that provide students with highly-personalized feedback, such as long-term workshops, will generally be priced higher than courses that meet only once. If you have the means, we encourage you to consider donating to Austin Bat Cave and help arts education and literacy continue to thrive during these challenging times.
A limited number of seats in each class are reserved for scholarships. Scholarships cover 100 precent of tuition-fees, and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
We especially encourage BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ writers to apply, though all are welcome. We do not ask for financial information or outside documents.
You may apply for a scholarship here.
- ABC Virtual Literary Salon: Take advantage of this free archive of reflections and writing prompts from authors in our amazing creative community including Karen Russell, Lara Prescott, and more!
Past Workshop Leaders
Support Austin Bat Cave